[Rhodes22-list] we love the St. Johns River

Goodness spreadgoodnews at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 17:52:35 EST 2013

There is a subtle current and tide in that part of the river.  It is generally not a significant factor, but once during the annual MUG race from palatka to jacksonville i was sitting in a dead calm in an 18' 80's sail tub and i was drifting next to a 32' yacht complete with a bikini clad admiral on the bow reading a book.  It was so still i could hear her pages turn.
So staring into the black water (to avoid staring at my neighbor's admiral) i noticed that 30' to my port bow the bubbles were drifting north a little faster than my boat.  The channel had an outgoing tide.  I sculled over to the channel and 10 minutes later the 0.1 knot race had me in the lead of the bigger boat.  The admiral shouted back to the helms swab "honey!! Dont let that little boat pass us!!!!"
Priceless!