[Rhodes22-list] Use of traveler?

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Thu Dec 26 11:12:15 EST 2013

Jon,

Good question.  This isn't the best link but it simplifies traveler use:
http://sailing.about.com/od/learntosail/a/travelerhowto.htm
<http://sailing.about.com/od/learntosail/a/travelerhowto.htm>

I use my traveler:

1.  When I'm trying to head into the wind and no matter how tight I pull my
mainsail it still luffs a bit.  I then move my traveler a bit windward so I
can pull the boom more to center.  Per the article above if you pull your
boom too far to windward it will slow you down.  You don't have to be going
that far into the wind.  In light wind with the giant 175% Genoa pulled
tight your mainsail can luff a bit if you don't use the traveler.

2.  As a boom vang.  Very few of our boats have boom vangs because of our
poptops.  Vangs pull the boom down and make a noticeable difference in
certain conditions.  Next time you're on a reach and it looks like the end
of the boom is a little high, just pull it down with your hand and you'll
likely see a difference.  As much as I'd like a vang I'd rather sail with
the poptop up.  If you slide your traveler to leeward you can pull the boom
down tighter and get some of the effect of a vang, but not much.

3.  Rarely.  I like perfect sail trim but I'm lazy and not a serious racer.
I first try to have the right amount of sail out for the wind conditions and
my point-of-sail.  Once my mainsail is deployed I usually don't add/delete
to the sail.  I will add/delete the amount of Genoa sail because it's easy.
On a beam or close reach I'll head into the wind and make adjustments to get
both of my sails to luff at the same time, and then slightly fall off the
wind a few degrees until they both quit luffing.  If the Genoa sheet isn't
in a straight line with the green stripe rising from the clew then I might
adjust my Genoa car if I'm not feeling too lazy, but that doesn't happen
very often.  The last thing I'll do is mess with the traveler; the juice
just ain't worth the squeeze.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE