[Rhodes22-list] Use of traveler?

James Nichols jfn302 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 26 13:24:26 EST 2013

Graham,

I'm by no means a seasoned sailor, but I'm working on getting there.  I've only sailed dingies so far.

However, I watched a video on how to improve your sailing and in that video, when sailing downwind, they moved the Vang from the base of the mast to the stay at the side rail.  They mentioned that this was to prevent accidental jibes.  Seems like using this method while sailing downwind would be feasible with the poptop up as well because the Vang isn't trying to go through the poptop to get to it's mount location, it would also add a measure of safety because the boom won't accidentally swing around to the other side if the wind shifts just a little.

There have been times sailing dingies that I have wished I could have done this exact thing, but alas I need to wait till I have my Rhodes on the water.

Any thoughts on what the video mentioned?

James

Sent from Yahoo! Mail for Windows 8