[Rhodes22-list] Redesigned Traveler

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue Jul 2 09:13:26 EDT 2013

Hi Graham,

See answers to your questions below:

--
Cheers!
John Lock
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
s/v Pandion - '79 Rhodes 22
Lake Sinclair, GA
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On 2013-07-01 22:05, Graham Stewart wrote:
> 1 - What is the optimum placement of the traveller along the backstays and
> what is the resulting length of the traveller?
I can't really tell you that since my boat is not standard.  I have a
single backstay from the masthead which splits into two stays about 3/4
down.  Consequently the "gap" I had to spam was much less than two full
length stays.

However, optimum placement is going to be determined by your boom height
at lowest position.  You need enough space to get the mainsheet tackle
in place with a little slack to work with.  If you mount the traveler
too high, you won't be able to work the mainsheet.  Too low makes the
traveler more of a nuisance in the cockpit.  So the best way to figure
it all out is get a piece of wooden closet rod of sufficient length.
Just lay that across the stays and move it up and down to determine the
best height.  Mark where the stays hit and you have your traveler length.

> 2- What are the arrangements that you have made for the traveller lines? I
> cannot see them in the photos.
That's because there are none!  Adjustment is done with the pinstop on
the sail track by hand.

> 3 - Do you worry about the station ends popping off if they are held only by
> set screws? Do you have any concerns that the tension of the stays and
> resistant to spreading might not be sufficient to rely on the setscrews
> alone?
No, I don't have those worries.  It all seems to be sufficiently secure.

> 4 - Was the hole in the station end sufficiently large for the backstay to
> pass through, presumably with the turnbuckle barrel removed, or did you have
> to get the backstays cut and reattached to the turnbuckle after passing
> through the station tip?
Gosh, I don't remember exactly, how I did that!  I know I did not have
to cut the stay, but again, my rig is slightly different than standard,
so not working with same hardware.  If I take a look at it I'll remember
what I did, but won't be near the boat again until Thursday.