[Rhodes22-list] IMF Outhaul

Geoff Farrell geoffreylfarrell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 7 16:51:28 EDT 2013

Mary Lou, I think I did see these. I wasn't sure whether or not to go with
a flat track slide or a "bolt rope" type slide. The original slide that
broke did have a groove cut out that seemed to be fashioned for a flat
track. But, take a look at the attached picture of the inside of my boom.
The track seems to be rounded. So, that's why I went with the rounded slide
(car). I also thought that a rounded slide would pivot in the track and
handle the side forces a little better. Additionally, I specifically wanted
a non-metal slide because I wanted to avoid the metal-on-metal contact
between the boom track and the slide.

I'm not sure I chose the best product for my application. As I said, it is
working fine now but I may do some additional research into this as I gain
more experience with my new set up.

As an aside, before I found the slide I'm now using I tied a knot in a line
and slid the knot into the boom track. The other end of the line was looped
to attach the clew and outhaul hardware. Also, I lubricated the inside of
the boom track. I was able to unfurl and furl the main sail with this
setup. I never actually sailed with this configuration though because my
slide arrived sooner than expected. I believe this would work in a pinch,
though.