[Rhodes22-list] Motorized motor lift.

marlangreen at gmail.com marlangreen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 13:06:53 EDT 2013

Hey Leland,

Thanks for the pic!

Actually, I could use some more vertical lift with my motor. At the very
end of the lift I have to pull up on the motor by hand to get the last inch
or two.

The Merc 9.9 4 stroke I have is an extra long shaft. And with too much
weight on one side of the boat or too far aft in the cock pit the prop does
sometimes drag. I think going over the SS bar with the belt would not
necessarily help with getting motor higher, but it might just make the last
few inches easier on the winch motor (it really groans right at the end).

I think that the next time I pull the boat I'll look at running the belt
over the stainless bar.

Regarding the WD-40. I have to admit I am reluctant to spray it on the
belt. I presume the belt is some sort of polyester and WD-40 is a solvent
(which is frequently used like a lubricant). And I worry that the WD-40
might accelerate the deterioration of the belt. Since there is so much
pressure on the belt and it holds up a very valuable component of my boat
(i.e. the motor) I think I would rather use my strength to assist the motor
winch rather than use WD-40. Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree.

As always I appreciate hearing others thoughts.

Marlan

s/v Nauti Boat

Mayo, MD