[Rhodes22-list] UPS

BRUCE GREENWALD bgreenwald at optonline.net
Wed Jul 24 17:01:40 EDT 2013

All,

I am a little confused about the desired location for the deck and mast
blocks required for the UPS.  I have a Harken furler (to be replaced by
a Furlex furler) and I want to be sure that the (near) mast head block
doesnt interfere with anythng else going on there and ditto re the deck
block.  Doyle suggested the deck block be placed 6 in back from the stem
head on the centerline so I assume that is correct - has anyone done
anythng differently?  I assume the the block on the mast goes on the
forward side of the mast but I am not sure how far from the top?  During
a recent trip to Edenton I noticed a few masts with blocks near the top
on the port or strboard side - I assume these were for a spinnaker but
don't know that for a fact or whether these were a poor man's substitute
for an additional sheave on the mast crane.  Thanks in advance for any
info on this.

Bruce

Bruce Greenwald
S/V Ruach II