[Rhodes22-list] Broken connection from mailsail to outhaul

marlangreen at gmail.com marlangreen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 10:55:15 EDT 2013

I have a very similar situation. On the fourth of July I noticed that the
plastic sliding, out-haul  car had broken and the metal piece you show in
your photo had come detached. I managed to jury rig it and it is working
now, but I need to replace the sliding out-haul car since that is what
broke. I also know this happened to the previous owners and they replaced
the sliding out-haul cart last year with one from General Boats.

>From watching the sail while furled and motoring about I think the failure
results from the piece of sail sticking out and flapping back and forth
while motoring. I think the flapping sail moved the metal piece (which in
your case failed) back and forth and this back and forth movement also
exerts forces on the plastic sliding out-haul car (which is where my set up
failed.)

I know that there was some discussion a few weeks back about the sliding,
out-haul car. I am considering replacing mine with a metal car that someone
mentioned in a previous e-mail. I don't remember what was specified
exactly, but I think it was sometime the parts that are circled in the
attached PDF files.

If anyone has replaced this plastic, sliding, out-haul car with a metal
version could you write to the list and let us know what you used
specifically and how it has worked for you? I would appreciate it very
much.

I would also like to hear what Stan has to say about the failure of this
particular are of rigging.

Thanks,

Marlan

s/v Nautisauraus