[Rhodes22-list] Broken connection from mailsail to outhaul

Mrbabs Marc at babineauins.com
Mon Jul 29 10:36:48 EDT 2013

Upon arriving at our sailboat this past Saturday, we found the mainsail
disconnected from the outhaul block as the thin piece of steel connecting
the clew grommet to the boom slide had failed.

<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/n46494/R22_001.jpg>

We found a replacement piece but it wouldn't fit without modification.
Further inspection of the slide showed several cracks in the plastic where
the screw held the metal piece. There were a couple other cracks and so I
will be ordering a new unit from GB.

In the meantime, to continue the sailing adventure I fashioned a couple of
aluminum pieces to shore up the plastic.  Not pretty, but functional in the
short term to prevent the mailsail from departing the outhaul block & line.

<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/n46494/R22_002.jpg>

Is there a reason why this connection is made with a thin piece of stainless
instead of shackle -locking D ring - shackle?

Has anyone had to replace their boom slide?  Should I order 2 (or 3) as it
looks to be a GB specific part?

As always - thanks for any input.

Marc

s/v Baby Steps