[Rhodes22-list] UPS

Mike C hmcheung57 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 11:31:22 EDT 2013

Doyle's suggestion should certainly work.  And if you went with a cruising
spinnaker instead of the UPS you could simply tie the tack off to the cleat
on the side you're planning to "fly" the chute on.  Of course, this requires
crew to go forward to rig the chute and to tack the chute.  We only fly ours
when Muireann will be on the same course for a good long time.  When we
tack, one of us goes forward gathering up the sheet and basically walks the
chute through to the opposite side and leads the sheet back to the cockpit.
We've only got the sail rigged with a single sheet at present.  The UPS is
certainly more like sailing with the headsail and can, no doubt, be handled
from the cockpit.  Whatever you get, you'll not use it very often I suspect,
but its nice to have when the wind is light.

-----
Mike Cheung
s/v Muireann