[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard top glassed in?

Graham gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Thu Jun 6 18:12:58 EDT 2013

Steve:

Yes, that is a bummer and something that happened to me when I had the
bright idea that 1/8" high density foam might make a good gasket. Nope! You
want carefully applied silicone, (but not so much that it squeezes inside
and clogs up the pulleys for the centreboard line), good gasket material
and lots of bolts as the fibreglass flange does not distribute the pressure
very well.

When I took the cap off the glass flange was so thin it broke so I had to
add some layers of cloth and epoxy to mend it. Doing so also made the cap
and the flange much more rigid and if you have the same problem it might be
worth doing the same. It doesn't need to be a fancy job. If you put down a
layer of epoxy thickened with the high density adhesive filler and then
apply the cloth while the filler is still soft you can fill in the rough
spots and provide a surface without gaps for the cloth to lay out on.
Hopefully, that won't be necessary.

Good luck,

Graham