[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard top glassed in?

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Fri Jun 7 12:04:47 EDT 2013

Graham,
I believe either Neoprene or EPDM can be used for gasket material.

Rummy

In a message dated 6/7/2013 11:59:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gstewart8 at cogeco.ca writes:

Getting  my cap off was so difficult that I broke the cap and the surfaces
were  damaged. I built up the cap and made matching surfaces of aluminum
that
were bonded to the cap and centreboard housing. Later I removed the
aluminum
from the cap side as I was not happy with the bond and decided  that having
used the aluminum as the base the join surface of the cap was  now perfectly
smooth and with the additional reinforcement on the cap it  was unnecessary.
I then used a neoprene gasket that I made from a sheet and  affixed it to
the
base with gasket sealer and then used silicone between  the gasket and the
cap. I was able to remove the cap with less difficulty  than I expected but
will try a dry install with neoprene next  time.

Graham Stewart

gstewart8 at cogeco.ca

613  389-1737