[Rhodes22-list] Remote Control

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Jun 7 12:09:58 EDT 2013

Hi Robert,

When we bought our newer Yamaha to replace our old Honda, we were
able to reuse the old Honda cables with the Yamaha mount thanks to
the wonderful Yamaha tech at the Boat House down near Kent Island
(sadly gone - caught up in the demise of Boaters World). It was a
tight fit for the cables on the motor bracket but he made it work. I
believe he had to order a bracket from Yamaha to make it work. Our
motor is a Yamaha 8hp HT electric start - non tilting model on a
manual GB motor lift.

When we did the original Honda installation, in 2002 I think, we ran
the cables through the gas boot - tearing it slightly in the process
but that's been OK. I've seen a couple of R22s with two boots - one
for the gas line and one for the cables. When he did the original
installation, the Honda guy said get the best cables you can as they
will deal better with sharper turns. We reused those cables when we
did the new installation several years ago. Last spring they finally
gave up the ghost and we replaced them ourselves with the best cables
we could get from our new Yamaha guy - Jim's Marine in Galena, MD.
Seems to be working fine.

I don't have any photos of the Yamaha installation (and I'm not going
to go get any today) but let me know if you want to see it and I'll
try to get some over the weekend.. I've attached a photo of the Honda
showing the cables running through the boot and another of the test
fitting of the controls in the cockpit. I don't think they help with
your issue which I assume is the clearances at the motor itself. Note
that we worked with a Yamaha tech on making this work and not Stan as
it required no modifications to the boat itself.

Best of luck.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD