[Rhodes22-list] 175 and backstay tension

Shawn Boles shawn.sustain at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 16:30:10 EDT 2013

Hi All:

Well Fern Ridge has been slow to fill but Sweet Baboo is finally in the
water. I have 3 questions for the group:

1. To alleviate lee helm on 175 I moved the head stay tang pin to its 3rd
position from the 4th. (i.e., lengthened it by one position to increase
mast rake). What position do others use?

2. I worry about pulling the back stay tension lines too hard. What is the
distance between the beckets that most people use. Last year I set it at
37". This year, with the changed mast rake, it is at 27" for a really tight
rig. Am I over stressing things?

3. I read that some owners slack the back stay tension when not sailing. I
wonder whether tightening and loosening the tension might stress theb oat
more than leaving it tight for the season. What do others think?

Cheers,
Shawn
s/v Sweet Baboo (recycled 86)