[Rhodes22-list] 175 and backstay tension

Stephen Staum snstaum at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 09:20:53 EDT 2013

Shawn,

I lost a brand new forestay (1st season, I think) by keeping the shrouds
loose while not sailing.  Afterward, my rigger and shroud maker taught me
that the strength of these shrouds is in tension.  If you leave them loose,
they flex more and can break prematurely.  I do not have a gage, but keep
reasonable sailing tension on all shrouds at all times.  Haven't lost one
since.

Stephen Staum
s/v Carol Lee 2
Needham, MA