[Rhodes22-list] 175% roller furling genoa

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Wed Jun 12 19:37:16 EDT 2013

Will,

There is no doubt that the CDI FF2 or Schaefer Snapfurl is "better" or that
the GB furler is somewhat primitive in design.  On the other hand, there is
also no doubt that your rigger is trying to sell you something, and that on
boats, simpler often means less things to break.

I bought the FF2 on my recycle and have not regretted it, so I have no
direct experience with the GB furler.  I spent the extra money because the
features of the CDI made sense to me and were worth paying for in my own
opinion.  If the GB furler has served you well and (importantly) is not
broken or worn in a way that may have contributed to your forestay failure,
you should consider whether the additional expense of a "modern" furler is
worth the cost.

As far as whether the 175 may have contributed, I researched wind conditions
where I sail when I bought, and opted for a smaller headsail,  After ten
years, everything is still standing (knock on wood).

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer
'85 recycled '03