[Rhodes22-list] How to lock rudder pintles?

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Mon Jun 17 16:24:02 EDT 2013

The only time this really comes into play is if you are motoring
(maybe sailing) or at anchor and a wave lifts you and drops you
straight down in such a way that your rudder hits something without a
chance to kick up. We had this happen to us as we were motoring over
a shallow area with a lot of debris. A fairly gently swell  passed
under us and the rudder hit something, popping it up and out of the
gudgeons. Fred was steering and was left holding the rudder by the
tiller. He didn't drop it. If had been me with my smaller hands and
weaker grip we probably would have lost it. We added a hose clamp to
one of the pintles after that. I'm not sure if it's still there. Fred
would have to comment on that. I think transom damage is unlikely
except in very unusual circumstances. In our case, we might have
taken a nick on the rudder itself but probably nothing serious as it
was a rather gently bump.

In the slip with the rudder raised and the tiller tied off so it
doesn't move, I don't think it would be much of a problem.

Mary Lou