[Rhodes22-list] Problem with Main Sail shackle with screw pin

Mrbabs Marc at babineauins.com
Tue Jun 18 09:34:51 EDT 2013

Thanks one and all!

Nothing actually broke - the screw pin worked its way out releasing the mail
sail block & tackle equipment. As a helicopter pilot, I have a pre-flight
check list and spend a fair amount of time checking belts, bolts, nuts and
anything else that can kill me me if it comes loose. I admit that during the
equipment check on the boat, I missed that the shackle pin was a screw in
pin. It will be replaced with a shackle containing a locking safety pin
which IMHO should be standard equipment.

As for sailing, while new to the endeavor, I did spend three days at the
JWorld Performance Sailing school. There's nothing like leaving a dock for 7
hours a day , sailing in between million dollar yachts in Newport Harbor,
and returning without a motor to develop some basic skills.

As an aside, does everyone add lock rings to the shroud turnbuckles to keep
them from potentially loosening over the sailing season?