[Rhodes22-list] Problem with Main Sail shackle with screw pin

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Jun 18 10:41:06 EDT 2013

Borat,

Yesterday evening a clevis pin and codder ring securing one of my leeward
shrouds jumped overboard.  First time that's ever happened.  Fortunately it
was an easy temporary fix and didn't slow us down.  Even more fortunate it
wasn't on the windward side of a boat with less shrouds.

I'm amazed at how many things come loose under the bending and flexing
caused by sailing.  A pre-flight checklist would probably be smart but it
would be so long that the juice might not be worth the squeeze.  If
something comes loose it's unlikely that you'll plummet to your death.  I'd
say you could limit your checklist to your motor and tiller/rudder but as
you've experienced, something like a mainsheet is pretty important too.

I took the basic US Sailing course out of the Navy Station in Annapolis on
the Academy's old Rainbow knockabouts.  We didn't have motors but there was
nothing to hit when we hooked up to mooring balls.  The JWorld school at
Annapolis is just like Newport Harbor.  Impressive to watch them work their
way through a maze of docks without using motors.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD