[Rhodes22-list] Problem with Main Sail shackle with screw pin

Michael Hellyar michaelhellyar at icloud.com
Tue Jun 18 21:24:46 EDT 2013

Then you will appreciate this. A ring retaining a clevis pin on the turnbuckle came loose and the stay was hanging in the stiff breeze. The ring was right there on the deck. I searched for the pin but could not find it. I had an extra so I grabbed the stay to re-attach it to the turnbuckle and OMG there was the clevis pin, yes, still inserted though both sides. No lie ! But it was one of those days. So, just when I re-inserted the lock ring and secured the starboard stay,wham, the port stay turnbuckle ring also came off. And guess what ? Yep. Same thing. The clevis pin was still inserted through both sides and the ring was right there on the deck. Friends, this is no sailor's tale. How it can happen must be purely physics and chance and good luck. But I don't use those rings anymore. Stainless seizing wire.

Mike Hellyar
sent from my iPad