[Rhodes22-list] Problem with Main Sail shackle with screw pin

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue Jun 18 11:50:18 EDT 2013

Yes, I use the round ones on top and bottom.

Rummy

In a message dated 6/18/2013 9:35:21 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Marc at babineauins.com writes:

Thanks  one and all!

Nothing actually broke - the screw pin worked its way out  releasing the
mail
sail block & tackle equipment. As a helicopter  pilot, I have a pre-flight
check list and spend a fair amount of time  checking belts, bolts, nuts and
anything else that can kill me me if it  comes loose. I admit that during
the
equipment check on the boat, I missed  that the shackle pin was a screw in
pin. It will be replaced with a shackle  containing a locking safety pin
which IMHO should be standard  equipment.

As for sailing, while new to the endeavor, I did spend three  days at the
JWorld Performance Sailing school. There's nothing like leaving  a dock for
7
hours a day , sailing in between million dollar yachts in  Newport Harbor,
and returning without a motor to develop some basic  skills.

As an aside, does everyone add lock rings to the shroud  turnbuckles to keep
them from potentially loosening over the sailing  season?