[Rhodes22-list] Problem with Main Sail shackle with screw pin

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Tue Jun 18 11:52:34 EDT 2013

Peter,
My personal belief is that copper is to soft a metal to use. Cotter rings
are stainless steel.

Rummy

In a message dated 6/18/2013 10:41:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
sailer291 at hotmail.com writes:

l lock  turnbuckes with cast off solid copper wire, free and easy to keep a
few bits  on board. Almost lost fwd lower in head seas on a rough day,
really bad as my  old viking 28 class was known to have mast weakness at the
spreaders. Not fun  to reattach in 5ft seas 5m out on a 70m transit. Been
careful re pins, shackes  for last 35yrs.. Forgot the other object lessons as got
to cocky as posing as  an old salt.
Keep leaning as forgot my lessons from my  PPL.
Peter

go to  http://www.rhodes22.org/list