[Rhodes22-list] Problem with Main Sail shackle with screw pin

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Jun 19 08:55:27 EDT 2013

Way back in October 1980, on a very cold and windy day, a fellow named Stan,
in a kaki down parka, sculled away from a slip on a canal in Amityville, NY.
He partially unfurled the Genoa to get us out in the open waterway where we
hoisted the main and set sail.  After about an hour or two of playing and
jibing about, he sat on the cockpit seat with his back to the cabin and
asked me to sail back to the slip.  I made it to the canal and turned the
helm back to Stan.  He deftly adjusted the sails and did not so much as bump
into the pilings or the far end of the slip.  We tied up and I signed the
contract for my first Rhodes 22 in their kitchen, with Rose.  I didn't know
that an outboard was even an option on the craft.  The contract specified
that Stan would not only deliver my first sailboat in the spring of '81, but
that he would teach me how to sail her.  The rest is history.

Mike
Former s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
s/v <-no name -> ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY