[Rhodes22-list] Sacrificial Toothpicks

Stan Spitzer stan at rhodes22.com
Fri Jun 21 12:27:29 EDT 2013

Mike and followers:

As you can see I stay out of these things, mostly because boats that
have passed through other hands have often been altered by other hands
that I am not familiar with.  2,000 years ago Rhodies came to their
elders when they had a serious question - today they just put tribal
elders in an old Rhodes, set it on fire and push it out to sea.  So this
is by way of a patriotic service - and a public notice to listen to
Rummy since he now is getting very old.

1.    The Rhodes mast is supported by 9 stays.   You could lose 6 of the
right 9 stays and the mast will not come down. The jib stay on any boat
is usually the most likely to fail.  In most boats, that are our size,
this means the mast comes down on the skipper, who probably deserves
it.  But this does not happen on a Rhodes, even with a deserving
skipper, because of the forward lowers.

2.    The mast step is a HINGE.  Hinges allow things to move.  So even
bolting the hinge step all the way to the keel will not stop a mast,
hell bent on coming down, from pivoting in its new, infinitely secured,
mast step.   NO stays and it will pivot down. Its in a hinge.

3.    OK, you want the mast to stay up in your now bolted-on mast step.
    So you do away with your mast step's hinged action by putting two
horizontal holes through the mast base and insert two 3/8" bolts instead
of the single bolt design that previously allowed the mast to pivot.
Now, with your non moveable mast step, and non pivotable mast, you feel
secure that even with no stays, the mast will stay.

My father once told me that if I give him a fulcrum and a long enough
pole, he could move the earth.   The Rhodes mast is 26 feet long - IMHO
I think it could move a Rhodes.  I will leave that math to the better
minds out there but my guess is that with a mast step that can't pop and
a stayless mast, somethings got to give, even something as modest as the
mast itself breaking or bending instead of lifting the now impossible to
lift mast step.

Do we have a rough weather water volunteer?  Also need a camcorder
volunteer to settle this List issue for eternity.

ss