[Rhodes22-list] Sacrificial Toothpicks

Ben Cittadino bencittadino at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 12:58:49 EDT 2013

Michael;

One more "sea story":

As "Sandy" bore down upon the Jersey Shore my Rhodes 22 "Susan Kay" was
safely up on jack stands in the yard of the Carriage House Marina in Sea
Bright. Sea Bright is a narrow strip of low land located between the ocean
and the Shrewsbury River. The storm surge from the ocean side flooded the
entire town. Sea Bright was among the worst hit. The first floor of every
building was flooded and many were brought down completely. The surge
plucked my boat off its jacks (did I mention the standing rigging was up
with the sail neatly furled inside the standing mainmast) and she went
sailing by herself around Sea Bright, grounding herself safely against a
fence in somebody's front yard about four blocks from the marina as the
surge receded. She was dry inside, upright, and not a single stay was
damaged. The mast was upright and just fine, with the mainsail still furled
neatly inside. She has afew dings and scrapes, and the railings will all
have to be replaced (they are all bent from her playing "bumper boats" and
"bumper house" and "bumper who-knows-what-else). She's being repaired as we
speak (line has been pretty long into the shop), but she will sail this
summer.

In conclusion, don't worry about the seating of the mast. It ain't goin'
anywhere, unless you do it while raising it.

Ben C.

-----
BenC
S/V Susan Kay (Rhodes22 '93 recycled '08)
Highlands, NJ (Homeport)