[Rhodes22-list] Leaking Window

Joe Camp jjcampjr at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 22 21:56:21 EDT 2013

Rummy:

    My advice on that leaking window was dependent on my limited experience as a Rhodes sailor.  I should have consulted the list (actually, you) before trying the quick fix.  Now, I have something to do this fall.  Your advice, I have noted,  is founded in a long experience and a tenacity unchallenged in its ability to forge the best solution.  Thanks (again) for showing me, and the rest of this community, the way.

     Now, as a expert in the travails of retirement, let me offer some advice to YOU:  I retired in 2010 after thirty-four years as a cop outside of Philly.  I don't know from what career you've retired, but based on what I have gleaned of your personality on this list, I'll wager that you were very focused on that career, and that leaving it creates a hole.  It took me about a year-- OK, all three years...so far --of denial and many visits top my old cop buddies, who feed me free coffee and let me curse like I once did, to break free.  I know it was time to move on, and that being fifty-six made me too old to fight with drunk twenty-somethings. And, I stopped running after people about ten years earlier, so...  Anyway, here's the advice: The friggin' world has not ended, you've just been reassigned, as it were.  So, relegate your long experience to a folder marked "proud memories" and make a new folder marked, "Rummy Rampage." then go to town
 filling it with new crap.

     I became an English professor.  I am also a writer, but I have not yet written about being an ex cop.  I have a space reserved in MY new folder (still waiting for a name).  I know I'll get to it, someday.  Till then, I have a hot little sailboat and a cyber buddy named Rummy.  What else do I need... besides my wife... and two daughters, oh yeah, Mom & Dad and some great drinking buddies who can still smoke a cigar.  Crap! I guess I need lots of stuff.  Well, you are on my list of assets.  Do you like cigars?  Plow on!

Joe Camp
s/v John Dawson
Bohemia River, Md.