[Rhodes22-list] First sail ever on my Rhodes

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Fri Jun 28 13:35:36 EDT 2013

Charlie,

Like you I never heard of it but Steve gave me an "aha" moment.

After I've put away the Genoa at the end of the day I head into the wind
like I'm going to tack, pulling the mainsheet as tight as I can get it
(while on a port tack).  With the rudder pushing the boat into the wind,
things are usually calm enough to furl in the main.

I often have the motor running but don't normally put it into gear unless
it's windy.

Two sails are probably better than one for heaving to so you don't
accidentally tack or get pushed away from the wind, but I've been heaving to
for awhile with just the main without even knowing it.

Like Geoff I'm going to try it next time I'm out.

Thanks Steve!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD