[Rhodes22-list] Outboard motor setup

Joe Camp jjcampjr at yahoo.com
Wed May 15 11:50:29 EDT 2013

Mark:

     Yours is the problem of every small sailboat captain who must occasionally motor.  Here's my solution:  I made a rod that is attached to the shifter lever on the motor. I figured that I would only really need that control when motoring in the marina or up to a service dock; so the throttle was not an issue.  When I get close to my intended location (mooring, slip or dock) I reduce the throttle and gain the necessary control with the shifter attachment.  It is a real pain to struggle with docking lines or picking up a mooring line while leaning over the transom to manage the motor.

     Yes, it's not as effective on a very windy day  But, I have learned (over a long life of challenges and disappointments) that we cannot have everything we need (or perceive we need) and stay within a budget.  This rig works fine for me, and cost about ten dollars to make. I want to move from a mooring to a slip, in which case, I'll rig a simple tiller to motor connection that uses a bit of rope and a bungee to move the OB in conjunction with the rudder.  That's sailing on a budget!  Good luck, and welcome to to coven.

Joe Camp
s/v John Dawson
Bohemia River, MD