[Rhodes22-list] Outboard motor setup

Mrbabs Marc at babineauins.com
Wed May 15 13:52:54 EDT 2013

Thank you one and all for sharing your thoughts and motor setups.

Of great importance is that MY Admiral can safely operate and maneuver the
boat while under power. Hopefully, operating under power will be relatively
limited to those times we are pulling into the mooring field. To that end, I
think the remote control option fits the bill. Whether the control is
mounted on the sailboat tiller or flush mounted on the front of the
lazarette will be determined.

One of the challenges of propane is where to keep the tank. This issue, as
Stan admitted, kept him awake nights. If the tank is kept in the lazarette,
it it supposed to be in its own sealed container, with a bottom vent. I
would not want to keep a tank in the lazarette without these precautions.

I was happy to learn that the Lehr motor will operate on both liquid and gas
propane which means their 10# tank can be secured on its side under the
seats. I had been operating under the assumption that the tank needed to be
upright for the motor to operate. Not so says Lehr. This eliminates many of
the engineering problems I was noodling in regards to tank placement. And
Stan can now begin to sleep soundly.

The motor decision would be much easier if I could get a good answer on the
delivery date. The local dealer told me they were informed by the Lehr rep
that a shipment date was unknown. The operations manager at Lehr estimated
end of June, while West Marine said beginning of June. Keep in mind when I
ordered this motor on March 9th, I was told 2 -3 weeks, then 2 -3 weeks
more, and so on. . .

Well, I can't launch until I have the motor and remote installed and then I
have to construct the tiller steering attachment block. On the plus side, I
have not experienced any seasickness on the boat while it waits on its
trailer at the marina! And we more time to make the curtains ;)

Cheers
Marc