[Rhodes22-list] Furling Jib Sail Options

Jay Curry jac2 at wavecable.com
Sat May 18 12:16:44 EDT 2013

I am writing to ask those on the list for information on furling Jib sail
options. I have the 175% but want to also use a smaller sail for just lazy
routine day sails. Jibing or Tacking with the 175% can be tedious if you are
doing much of either one.

Ideally, a list of available sizes and a supplier would be great. But, I
would probably settle on a 100% that can be used with a self tending rig. I
would be interested  in used sails if anyone has some for sale. I wrote
Stan, but so far he has not responded.

With a furler, you could use a larger sail furled down to 100%. But, the
larger the sail, the worse it works. The furled section reduces the leach
edge length and creates a large leading edge that makes it super efficient
on one tack and super inefficient on the other. I think going beyond 110% or
115% would be a problem.

The sizes need to specify length of Luff, Foot and Leach sides so it can be
ordered without confusion. It would also be great if Doyle or some other
manufacturer already has sails designed for the Rhodes 22.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Take care

Jay
Port Angeles, WA