[Rhodes22-list] Using mast crutch for tarp

Michael Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Nov 12 11:59:51 EST 2013

Ted,

Throughout the winter, especially during mating season in the early spring,
remember to check for animals who will nest in nicely closed (tarped) boats.
They can be a real mess to clean up.

I also tape foam or towels over most of the sharp items such as the spreader
fittings and cleats on the mast to avoid damage to the tarp.  The wind and
snow will cause movement which can tear the material.  I have also
experimented with using gallon jugs (milk or bleach) filled with water to
act as the tarp hold downs.  This permits the tarp to adjust during heavy
snowfall rather than rip or pull out the grommets.  Wal-Mart sells tarp
clips (yellow plastic) to repair the tarp if you lose a grommet.

Global warming?  Let's not start that discussion again!  PLEASE BE CAREFUL
IF YOU LAUNCH IN APRIL - WATER TEMPS ARE LOW ENOUGH FOR HYPOTHERMIA!  WEAR A
LIFE JACKET FOR SURE TO GIVE YOU ENOUGH TIME TO BE RESCUED! (Note: Late
season sailing (November/December) is actually safer since the water is
still fairly warm in the northeast.

Mike
s/v <-no name -> ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY