[Rhodes22-list] Major Problem Minor Repair

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Tue Sep 10 08:57:44 EDT 2013

Graham,
There have been a lot of different rudder hold-down clutches over the
years - all designed to allow you to pull the rudder forward of
vertical and also allowing the rudder to kick up if it hits
something. Ours (no pics at the moment) is a single line coming from
the upper forward edge of the rudder behind a plate with stainless
wing-nut on the front of the rudder head. Here's a good description
of that system from a previous list member:
  http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/2005-July/024212.html)

At one point several people replaced their rudder downhaul equipment
with one of these:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=92692&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10102&subdeptNum=10286&classNum=10287#.Ui8TVD_nLkM

Don't know how that works but don't recall any complaints. Ours kicks
up when needed and holds the rudder down the rest of the time, sounds
like Lee's does as well.

The key take-away here is that if you have a standard R22 rudder, the
boat will not sail well unless that rudder is pulled forward of vertical.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD