[Rhodes22-list] Mac's 130 Genoa

Mac McCready wmccready at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 30 12:29:17 EDT 2013

Elle,

I basically use the weight as a spring line on the starboard side to keep the bow away from the pier, but weights can be used on one or both stern lines to keep away from the pier as well.  This is how I set it up, the weight was made by a friend who works in the concrete business and he just poured some some concrete in a small (8" wide by 12" long plastic cylinder, weighs about 30-40 lbs I guess).   He placed a eye hook in the top (while concrete was wet) to attach a line that runs from the weight through a small pulley (that has an eye ring on it that allows me to connect the pulley to the pier) then over to the boat  where it is tied off.  I do not let the weight sit on the bottom - it is suspended a foot or so off the bottom and by doing so this allows the boat to move (just not as much
 without the weight) with the tides and not get hung.   Use your judgement as to what is enough weight under normal conditions
and be able to add more when a storm rolls in- don't ask how I know
that.  I  keep telling myself it's just a ding on the front edge and
stuff happens.

 The weight really can be just about anything, although if you have to raise the cinder block you run the risk of dinging the boat and that would get my Irish up a bit, so if you don't want to make a weight, perhaps a couple barbell weights tied together would do.

As to how high to secure the line on the piling-  higher than boat cleat to which it is tied off to so you minimize chafing  and  above the mean tide (and then some).

I hope this helps and I'll try to get some pics ( I have a dumb phone) next time Melanie goes sailing  with me.  I wish I had you camera skills maybe one day after I finally finish remodeling this 1963 rancher!   And by then  I''ll  have no choice but  to try something less physical.

Mac