[Rhodes22-list] Tohatsu 4s 5hp VERSU A TROLLING MOTOR

Stephen Staum snstaum at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 07:23:52 EDT 2014

I cannot speak to experience with a trolling motor although I think it would
be fine for maneuvering in and out of a slip on a small lake.

I had a 4 hp 2 stroke Mariner for several years on the Carol Lee and never
found myself lacking for power including an open water ocean experience with
4 foot waves and 35 knot gusts.  My second outboard was a 5 hp Briggs and
Stratton 4 stroke which I used until the boat was swamped and totaled in a
hurricane.  Again power was always adequate in Quincy Bay and coastal
cruising conditions.  The Carol Lee 2 came with a Johnson Sailmaster 9.9 hp
2 stroke and while the extra power is nice, I don't need it and the fuel
consumption is noticeably higher.  With all of these, I found noise more of
a nuisance than vibration.  Go electric if you can.

Stephen Staum
s/v Carol Lee 2
Needham, MA