[Rhodes22-list] Tohatsu 4s 5hp VERSU A TROLLING MOTOR

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Fri Apr 4 10:44:25 EDT 2014

 I bought Country Rhodes without a outboard, it had been stolen the night
before the test sail, right off the owners dock (which helped him decide
to sell her now). I had a Com-Pac 16 that I used a 40 lb thrust trolling
motor to power it. In the 3 weeks between ordering and receiving the
Nissan ob, I used the trolling motor. I would be able to run 3.5 to 4
knots for the mile out to the main lake on high speed. On the way back, I
could only get 3-3.5 knots. I would take the battery home to charge after
every outing. One time, I knew I would be going out twice in one day, I
used the medium speed and got 2.5-3 knots over a 4 mile run. This was
with a cheap small (group 24?) Walmart battery, Two years old and well
abused. One time, with a 15 mph wind on the nose, I barely got 2 knots on
high speed on the way back to the slip.
 If you decide to go electric, I would highly recommend buying a trolling
motor battery, so that you have the house battery as a spare in case you
have to motor a long way. I would buy a cheep multimeter(5$ at harbor
freight), so you have some idea of the charge state of your battery. In
my use, a solar panel wouldn't keep up, but your mileage may very.
  The great thing about electric, If you have go juice, it always starts
on the first pull.

         Jerry

pic of motor and stand