[Rhodes22-list] new/used Rhodes

James Nichols jfn302 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 19 10:59:07 EDT 2014

My switch from an older windows version to 8 was pretty rough because of the
changes to the start menu, other than that, the system is much more stable
than anything I have ever used before.  Once you get over the way the new
start menu system works, it think it is much more intuitive and much less
frustrating than the mouse accidentally slipping off what you want and
deciding to show something else.

The other thing is Metro.  Most people are uncomfortable with a windows
machine that does not allow them to have multiple windows showing on the
desktop and only has programs that take over screen.  Android and iOS do the
exact same thing and they are happy with it.

However, there are some solutions out there for those that want their old
look and feel while not losing the stability of the new operating system.
There is a program called Start Is Back that will give you a start menu like
you are used to on older windows systems.  I think it is like 4.00 and it
works great and seriously customizable.  Also, you can avoid metro based
programs.  There are desktop versions for anything you want to do.

As for the price and keyboard, I looked at one at Fry's for just under 700
for the base model, so yes, a bit more expensive than an iPad, and a lot
more expensive than the Android, but it does come with a keyboard that snaps
on and off magnetically and acts as a screen protector when you aren't using
the device.  Then easily flips around the backside when you just want to use
it as a tablet.  Not many other devices come loaded the way the Surface does
out of the box, for my 10" Android device I'll spend another couple hundred
bucks to get the keyboard and kickstand and it still won't function as well
as the surface.

However, my real point is, purchase a device that suits how you use it.  If
all you do is browse the web, watch netflix, check email and play a few
arcade style games, an android or ipad may suit you well.  If you use your
device for productivity, need to make sure you get the full web experience
instead of being directed to the mobile sites all the time or want the
security that a commercial product such as office will be updated as soon as
a weakness like Heartbleed if found instead of having to wait on the
community to protect your personal information, then a full-fledged
windows/OSX  laptop may fill your requirements better.  The surface gives
you the best of both worlds in portability and flexibility.

Personally, I use a Toshiba Ultrabook that converts into a tablet.  Slightly
larger screen than the surface and it runs the programs that I need for my
work but still gives me the tablet functionality when I want it.

James