[Rhodes22-list] HOW DO YOU SAIL SINGLEHANDED?

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Mon Aug 4 22:27:19 EDT 2014

When single-handling our Rhodes, not only do I wear a PFD but I also tether
myself to the boat with a harness I sewed from Sailrite years ago.  I also
agree that it is very important to move deliberately and keep a hand on the
boat.  I enjoy single-handling the Rhodes, but don't lose sight of the
inherent risk.

We sail on 40 mile long Cayuga Lake (Finger Lakes in upstate NY), and see a
variety of conditions.  I'm a little jealous of those of you on the South
Shore, LI Sound and the Chesapeake since you probably have more consistent
winds.  Like others have posted, 20-25 knots is the most we have been out
in, and that is with both sails partially furled and the boom in the lower
position.

Regards,
Don Simons