[Rhodes22-list] Help needed with choosing an outboard for my Rhodes 22

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue Aug 26 21:01:10 EDT 2014

Thanks Ted. The list stripped out your photos. If you don't mind could you send them directly to me at rweiss at siu.edu

Thanks.
Bob

Robert L Weiss Jr.
Director of Music
First United Methodist Carbondale, IL
Professor Emeritus, SIUC

From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org <rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org> on behalf of The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:55 PM
To: The Rhodes 22 Email List
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Help needed with choosing an outboard for my Rhodes        22

Bob,

Congrats! You're going to love your Rhodes.  Stan is good people. This subjects comes up a lot with new owners so you might want to search the archives. Here are my thoughts:

I bought my boat last spring and I love it. I went with a Tohatsu 9.8hp 20 inch shaft with electric start. 9.8 is a little overkill but hey a few extra horses never hurt anyone. It sips gas and starts on one pull. I bought mine online and had it shipped to Stan.  I think you're on the right track with a 6 or 8 hp.  I think Tohatsu makes a 6hp "sail pro" version that might suite your needs.  Some guys like to go with the 25 inch shaft but my 20 inch seems adequate.  The Hondas are sweet but I couldn't justify the extra cost. I don't think any of the new engines have shifters on the handle, but I may be wrong. A few folks have mounted remote shifter/ throttle with great success.

Here are a few pics of my setup.

Cheers,
Ted
SV AIRPOWER 1991/2013
Boston, MA (soon to be Jacksonville, FL)