[Rhodes22-list] Help needed with choosing an outboard for my Rhodes 22

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Wed Aug 27 14:52:13 EDT 2014

Thanks to all for the recommendations. I also went back and did a better job
of searching the archives and with the historic and recent combined wisdom
have decided to get a Mercury 8hp OB. I was very tempted by Joe's electric
OB suggestion, but have decided that with this new boat I may want to wander
farther from my home marina than I have in the past and will feel more
comfortable with the gas engine. As I mentioned in my original post, Stan
had suggested getting something with High Thrust and a long tiller handle
that has the throttle and gear shift on the handle. Stan emphasized this
second requirement as being most important. I would have liked to get a
Tohatsu because of their affordability, but they don't have any with the
gear shift on the handle. The Mercury line starts putting the gear shift on
the handle at their 8 hp model. In order to get a High Thrust feature on the
Mercury, you have to go to their 9.9 Big Foot model, and I didn't want to
have the added weight that came with that model. 8 hp seems like it will be
sufficient for my KY Lake sailing. So, the Mercury motor is ordered and
being shipped to GB for Stan to install with the tiller connection. By later
this Fall I hope to have photos of this "new" 1998 beauty to post.  Bob