[Rhodes22-list] RC trailer setup

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sun Aug 31 22:43:05 EDT 2014

My bunks are 2x6 treated wood, covered in indoor/outdoor carpeting, and they
support the weight of the boat. Magic Moments' keel is a little above the
roller, and the bow is as far forward as I can get it to ensure I've got
enough tongue weight. The lower 2x6s only guide the keel; they don't offer
any support. If you want the bow stop extended for some reason, you can stow
something forward to the V berth, bring the motor onboard (secure it to the
cockpit floor and give it a bit of cushioning), top off the water tank, etc.
to help with the balance of the boat while towing.

Right now, Magic Moments is in a lift on 2x6s perpendicular to the waterline
- i.e. there isn't much fiberglass bearing the weight of the boat
(especially the forward supports). This is with a 110 pound outboard, 9 gal
of gas, 7-15 gal of water, etc. It also includes the not-unsubstantial
weight of the crew from time to time (another 4 or 5 hundred pounds).
Despite the weight concentration, there has been no gel coat cracking or
oil-canning of the hull.

Pictures tomorrow, when I have some light.

Dennis
Magic Moments
Looking forward to finding some open water on Lake Erie on Memorial Day