[Rhodes22-list] Synthetic teak

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu Dec 4 07:43:46 EST 2014

As synthetic wood is pretty much plastic filled with wood fibers,  I would say that its ability to support a live load is dependant on the quality of plastic used to bind the fibers.

Every synthetic board I have messed with so far has been more flexible than an equal sized wood board,  but less likely to break because it does give rather than fracture. They use it to support live loads on backyard decks all the time.

I don't know anything about synthetic teak,  but if it is manufactured the same way trex is,  then it should have no problems being used for handrails.  I just wouldn't use it as a post or other similar structure.

James

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android