[Rhodes22-list] Deck joint repair.

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue Dec 9 06:04:00 EST 2014

Chuy,
I'm a little short on time, but I will try to detail the procedure the best
 I can.
Remove the rubber insert from the rub rail. In most cases it has
deteriorated enough that you will want to replace it with new. Having removed  the
insert you have found the pop rivets which you will have to drill out in
order to remove them. Most of the rivet will fall into the interior of the boat
and you will continue to find them for several years. After drilling all
the rivets out you will clean the deck joint (area between the two surfaces)
with something small enough to remove the hardened and worthless caulking.
The  cleaner the joint is, the better. I recommend and used on my boat a one
part  polyurethane sealant called NP1. It is manufactured by a company
called  Sonolastic and is primarily used in roofing applications so it has great
 adherence and weathering properties. It will stick to anything and can be
easily  found through Google.
Now comes the really important part, filling the voids in the seam. Using a
 caulking gun, you will squeeze the trigger as you push the gun forward,
driving  the caulk into the seam. This is reverse as to how you normally apply
caulk, but  you want to fill all the voids. Once the seam has been sealed,
replace the  rivets which you have purchased from an industrial nuts and
bolts supply house  and attach the rub rail. Count the holes before going and
add 10% just because.  Do not try to find them at a hardware store, they
don't have them.  I used  a hand operated pop rivet gun, but I would recommend
purchasing a pneumatic or  electric gun to save wear and tear on your hands
and arms.
Simply sealing the top and bottom edge of the rub rail doesn't do squat for
 stopping water infiltration and besides, it looks crappy.
Good luck and if you have any further questions don't hesitate to  ask.

Rummy

In a message dated 12/8/2014 12:52:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,