[Rhodes22-list] Standing rigging thickness

Mark Osterbrock mark.osterbrock at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 21:45:24 EST 2014

John,
Consider the possibility that it is your boat that has changed its
shape with age and excessive tension and not your rigging that has
stretched.

John Shulick <jsbudda at verizon.net> wrote:

 Hi all,

  The time has come to replace the 40+ yr old standing rigging on my boat.
Over the years the 1/8" wire has stretched enough to take up all the slack
in my turnbuckles. I keep my side stays at 180 lbs. of tension and about 100
on the baby stays. At about 10* of heel the stays stretch so much the lee
side stays are dangling free. I'm considering upgrading to 5/32 wire to
combat this. I will add additional ballast to compensate for additional
weight aloft. Am I being over cautious ?  As always comments are welcome.

Will this winter never end ? ? ?
Death to the groundhog.
John S