[Rhodes22-list] Standing rigging thickness

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Sat Feb 15 11:46:57 EST 2014

Gentlemen,

  When I tighten the turnbuckles on my boat I hold the top of the turnbuckle
with a pair of pliers to keep the wire from twisting and then tighten by
hand. Rick I can get the main side stays up to 300lbs. but my hands are
about at their limit to do that. I prefer 10% of tension over 15% and I rake
my mast back about 1* or so to improve the amount of weather helm. I have
also experimented with using the baby stays to give the mast a slight bend
to change mainsail shape. James a heaver wire doesn't mean the tension must
be increased 200 lbs of force is plenty what the heaver wire dose is to
provide more resistance to shock loads from gusts and extreme conditions. My
boat came with the cabin a little bent on the port side which is where there
is no support in the stock design. I have improved over this by splitting
the bulkhead in two.
I have a port and starboard shoulder and have a leaf spring which acts as a
compression arch (see pict).
<http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/file/n47493/DSCF0298.jpg>
This has corrected my cabin deformation issues to a large degree. I'm
redoing this setup this year since wood ants got into it 2 yrs ago and ate
the bulkhead. I will be moving it forward 2" to put the arch directly under
the mast for better support. I'm also removing about half of the original
concrete ballast and will be replacing it with lead ingots epoxied to the
hull and glassed over. That should keep me busy till all this damn snow
melts.

Pictures when the projects complete
Best to all
John S