[Rhodes22-list] Standing rigging thickness

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Sat Feb 15 12:28:16 EST 2014

My boat is a 76 and I have seen no indication of the original rigging
"stretching". I too use a fairly loose rig. I use the gauge mostly to
balance the tension. I also put a pin through the barrel of the turnbuckle
as otherwise I would not be able to tighten it sufficiently by hand.
Basically I want the top side stays to be sufficiently tight to keep the
mast perpendicular to the deck when heeling but still have the lee stays
hang without any tension. The lower stays are only adjusted to straighten
the mast once the long stays are adjusted.

If you think that your boat may have been deformed by excessive tension, I
wonder if the boat might relax again if left for some time with the mast
removed. I also wonder whether the mast has been left up all year long.
Being in a cold, make that freezing, climate my mast is down at least 6
months of the year so that might be part of the reason that there appears to
be no deformation.

 Would think that adding too much tension can only spell trouble.

Graham