[Rhodes22-list] Realistic Expectations for Rhodes 22

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Thu Jan 16 16:40:54 EST 2014

Ron,

Nice pictures by the way.  If you can eat pizza while manning the tiller
you're a better sailor than I.

You've already received a lot of good advice on your post.  Personally I
would have probably just motored home if I were in 4 foot waves.  Even if I
could sail in them I wouldn't want to.  When I'm in big chop I'm either
sailing into the waves as much as possible or sailing with them.  Anything
else is uncomfortable.

I've posted the comment below too many times but it does show that our boats
perform well in similar conditions:

Jack,

I stand corrected.  I actually can point that high.  And I'm not that good
of a sailor.

Went sailing this afternoon.  True wind was exactly 12 knots from the south
just before I put the sails up and exactly 12 knots from the south just
after I furled them in.  Apparent wind fluctuated between 10 and 15 knots.
Small craft advisory due to the chop, which was about 3 feet in most areas.

Boom down.  Full main.  Genoa sheets ran across the cabin top which brought
the tip of the clew to the forward shrouds (about 85% reefed).  Board down.
Traveler centered but pulled so tight the end of the boom was less than 12"
from the traveler.

Port tack on a close reach at 240 degrees with a 10 to 15 degree heel going
about 3.5 to 4 knots with the tiller locked at about 3 degrees to the
leeward side.  Starboard tack at on a close reach at 150 degrees with a 15
to 20 degree heel (stupid 130 lb. outboard) going about 3.5 to 4 knots with
the tiller locked at about 3 degrees to the leeward side.  240 minus 150
equals 90 divided by 2 would be 45 degrees into the wind, but that was on a
close reach, not on a beat, close-hauled.  I easily got another 5 degrees
without luffing the sails on a beat.

Considering the amount of wind and chop, I think the Rhodes22 will point
better than 40 degrees with a little less wind and a lot less chop.

One other minor factor.  I was single-handling so I only had 180 lbs. of
human ballast.  Okay, maybe 190 lbs., but I was standing most of the time as
opposed to sitting or hiking-out.

We really do have a well-designed sailboat.

Lee

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE