[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Withdrawals

Joe Camp jjcampjr at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 25 13:01:56 EST 2014

Graham:

     If boats do not have feelings (in a real sense) they certainly possess some degree of personified qualities as imparted (as shared) by their owners. To sail a boat is to join one's self with the wind and the sea (lake) and the earth itself turning subtly beyond human perception.  But in the tiller, the captain feels it all of it intimately; every tiny nuance of movement, change, drift or interaction with tides is telegraphed up the rudder and into the stick...into your hand, your elbow, your shoulder, then to your sailor's brain which translates every variation of sensation into a language more complex than any ancient language as yet untranslated.

     A boat feels through her captain(s).  She takes on the personality we assign her in our own intricate perceptions of what we are and what she is through us.  Just because fiberglass is not flesh does not mean that it has no feeling.  We give our boats personality.  (I'll wager that Rummy's boat dreams of breezes in Jamaica, and the tang of a well spun tropical liquid concoction poured over ice, maybe a drop or two spilled on the gunwale, as her captain ponders an island sunset as gentle swells waft into a hidden cove off the bay and rock him toward a hazy slumber.)

     I believe there is a a poem in your very suggestive email. It's one I will probably write sometime soon.  Thanks for the inspiration.  Ready about!  Hard to Lee!

Joe Camp
s/v John Dawson

They definitely do!  Ours gets sad if we go more than a week without getting her out for a romp on the water!