[Rhodes22-list] How's your keel work progressing?

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu Jul 31 21:33:36 EDT 2014

Hi Graham -

It may be time to find another boat project - or just take some time to
float around in another boat. Give the Rhodes' keel time to dry out. You can
help it along by making a skirt around the keel and adding heat - see if you
can get the keel a little north of 100 degrees and hold it there for a few
days - can you borrow or rent infrared heater(s)? If you use a kerosene,
oil, or gas heater, vent the heater's exhaust outside the skirt. Water is a
by-product of combustion, and may slow or stop the drying process. I know a
contractor who tried to dry out wet ground to meet a paving deadline by
strapping a jet engine to the back of a bulldozer - literally! It didn't end
well.

Keep a tarp over the boat, not only to keep out rain, but also to prevent
dew from condensing on interior surfaces. Add a fan in the cabin to move any
accumulated moisture out of the boat. Keep the keel warm for a few days (a
week if you want to be conservative), and you should be good to go.

I wish I could suggest a way to verify the keel had dried out, but I'm
coming up empty thinking about it.

Good luck - thanks for keeping us posted.

Dennis
Magic Moments
Anxiously awaiting the bits for the mast lowering rack