[Rhodes22-list] Tiller Tamer

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sat Nov 15 13:14:45 EST 2014

I got this tiller clutch for my San Juan 21: http://tillerclutch.com/.

Expensive but I loved it. Beautifully made and rock solid. Does require line
connected to both sides of boat - I found could mount attach points  just
ahead of stern so not too much in the way.

With it set up on a reach AND not too much wave action and wind, it would
could easily be adjusted to let boat sail itself. It was fairly insensitive
to my walking around (155 lbs but San Juan is only 1500 lbs).

The effect you're all talking about is, I'm pretty sure, the "lee bow"
effect. As boat heels more, the windward side of bow comes out of water a
bit and leeward side buries a bit and the curve of the lee bow tries to
steer the boat upwind. It could be that the design of the Rhodes 22 makes
this have a bigger effect than my SJ. I had a day sailor you intentionally
heeled to leeward in light airs to get a slight weather helm.

Anyway, I can't get the Rhodes extension to reliably lock/unlock and it's
driving me a bit nuts - could be wearing out.

But No tiller lock/clutch will work for very long off the wind so...

I'm already saving my money for a tiller autopilot. They're unbelievably
accurate, reliable and easy to use - and I think about $300 bucks. I single
hand a lot for long  stretches and you really need a break now and then. AND
they work even going downwind/broad reach - at least till wind changes
significantly.

Brooks on Choptank