[Rhodes22-list] Boat behavior very different starboard tack

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sun Nov 16 09:29:12 EST 2014

At 01:14 PM 11/15/2014, Brooks wrote:
>The effect you're all talking about is, I'm pretty sure, the "lee bow"
>effect. As boat heels more, the windward side of bow comes out of water a
>bit and leeward side buries a bit and the curve of the lee bow tries to
>steer the boat upwind. It could be that the design of the Rhodes 22 makes
>this have a bigger effect than my SJ. I had a day sailor you intentionally
>heeled to leeward in light airs to get a slight weather helm.
>Brooks on Choptank

This reminded me to remind everyone that the boat sails better with
weight in the bow. We always make sure that the water tank is mostly
full. We also keep our spare anchor forward on the opposite side from
the water tank.

I'd be interested in hearing from folks who have gone to a smaller
headsail. If you noticed a difference in how the boat sails from port
to starboard tack with the 175, was the difference reduced when you
went to the smaller headsail?

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
(recycled 1998)